Research Associate (post-doctoral researcher) in Evolutionary Biology, University of Greifswald
The Uhl_Group of the Zoological Institute and Museum at the University of Greifswald is seeking to fill a position of a
Research Associate (m/f/d) in Evolutionary Biology (40h/week)
Starting date: preferably from 01. August 2023
The position is suited for qualification on the habilitation level. The contract will be issued for an initial period of three years. After positive evaluation and the fulfilment of the legal requirements, the position can be extended for a maximum of another three years.
Within an evolutionary framework, the Uhl_Group investigates i) reproductive strategies, including behaviour and functional morphology, ii) chemosensing, including ultrastructural, molecular and electrophysiological aspects, iii) adaptations to changing environments using behavioural, morphological and genetic methods. We mainly work on spiders, millipedes and beetles.
• University degree (PhD) in biological sciences
• research is based on evolutionary biology. Focus can be on reproductive biology, behavioural ecology, functional morphology, population genetics, gene expression analysis – ideally, several of these aspects are covered
• research topics with arthropods as model organisms due to existing infrastructure is favourable
• development of a coherent concept for the integration of your own research topics in the department
• strong publication record and interest in acquiring external funding
• teaching experience either in zoology, evolutionary ecology, and behavioural ecology – or in combination
• very good oral and written communication skills in English
• Basic knowledge of the German language to support teaching in the Bachelor’s degree programs
• ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Participation in the fulfilment of the teaching obligations of the department with 4 CPs (Practical courses in Systematics/Anatomy of animals in the bachelor programme; Evolutionary Ecology in the Master programme “Biodiversity, Ecology and Evolution”, Excursions).
• Active participation in the research projects of the department with your own focus that complements the expertise of the group
• salary according to remuneration level 13 TV-L
• internal and external training opportunities
• flexible working hours
• collegial working environment
University of Greifswald
The University of Greifswald is one of the oldest universities in Germany and the Baltic Sea Region, founded in 1456. Its research strength mainly originates in the intensive interdisciplinary collaboration of the five faculties, and offers excellent research infrastructure. The University invites people of all origins and convictions to take part in academic education and to work together to enhance knowledge.
The city of Greifswald is situated at the Baltic sea in the northeast of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, about 200 km north of Berlin. The area offers diverse outdoor activities such as hiking and sailing.
We are looking forward to receiving your application including a motivation letter, a research statement and a concept of how your research can complement the research fields of the group, CV, links to relevant publications, account of teaching experience, and certificates.
Your application should be sent via email to Prof. Gabriele Uhl in a single PDF document (Name_23/Wi05.pdf).
University of Greifswald
Zoological Institute and Museum
Prof. Dr. Gabriele Uhl (she/her)
Loitzer Strasse 26
17489 Greifswald, Germany
Email: [email protected]